Sunday, November 1, 2015

Leaving Home

Leaving my hometown of Cleveland at age fifteen, was the result of two imperfect choices.  I had the option of attending an excellent private school, but I would have to live in a dorm in another state. On the other hand, I could stay in Cleveland with my family, but would have to attend a city high school with poor resources.  Heading into tenth grade, the decision wasn’t very hard to make. I wanted to go. Even at fifteen, I recognized that the scholarship could mean a brighter future for me. But one factor that did make the decision especially difficult was leaving my parents, particularly my mother. She was my closest friend.


When the September school departure day arrived, I lifted two pieces of hard-backed Samsonite luggage into a taxi and went alone to the airport. No one cried, not even my father who said he felt like he was losing his only daughter. And as the car rolled out of the driveway and I waved goodbye, I thought I felt my heart breaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment